Moon Township, PA, (May 27, 2011)
– Six Heritage Valley Health System physicians, representing a variety of disciplines and geographic areas, recently received recognition from the Allegheny County Medical Society as well as Pittsburgh Magazine’s Annual Top Doctors 2011 edition.
This spring, John A. Straka, MD, FACS, otolaryngology, was presented with the Ralph C. Wilde Award from the Allegheny County Medical Society (ACMS) Foundation. The Ralph C. Wilde Award is presented to a physician who exemplifies the personal and professional characteristics of the late ACMS President, Dr. Ralph Wilde, as a physician, teacher, leader, and human being.
After receiving his medical degree from Creighton University in 1966 and completing his residency in otolaryngology-head and neck surgery in Pittsburgh, Dr. Straka served as assistant chief of otolaryngology at Walter Reed Army Hospital in Washington, D.C. He remained there from 1971 to 1973 and served as a major in the U.S. Army during the Vietnam War.
Dr. Straka has served communities in western Pennsylvania for more than 38 years. He has served as clinical assistant professor at the University of Pittsburgh and Temple University schools of medicine. Dr. Straka is a member of the American College of Surgeons, Pennsylvania Academy of Otolaryngology, American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery, and the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery among others.
“We’re proud to have Dr. Straka as a member of our medical staff at Heritage Valley,” said Norm Mitry, president and CEO, Heritage Valley Health System. “His commitment and dedication to practice, as well as teaching of medicine, is an example of the expert level of care available to people in the communities we serve.”
Additionally, five Heritage Valley Health System physicians were named in Pittsburgh Magazine’s annual Top Doctors 2011 May edition. Top Doctors are selected through a survey of regional health professionals and peers who are asked to share whom they would entrust the care of their family member when faced with a specific medical condition. The recognized physicians from Heritage Valley include:
- Paul Dubner, M.D., Tri-State Pediatrics Associates, caring for children in Beaver, Chippewa, Hopewell and Sewickley;
- Michael A. Karp, M.D., Heritage Valley Medical Group, caring for families at the Ambridge Area Healthcare Services location;
- Michael M. Sherry, M.D., Sewickley Medical Oncology/Hematology Group, providing cancer care from his office location in Moon Township;
- John C. Wright, Jr., M.D., Wright Gynecology & Associates, delivering gynecology care to women in Bridgewater, Calcutta and Beaver; and
- Paula S. Youngdahl, M.D., Tri-State Obstetrics and Gynecology, providing obstetrical and gynecological care to women from offices in Bridgewater, Chippewa and Beaver.
“The practice disciplines and geographic areas of service for these five ‘Top Docs’ truly exemplify the range and depth of healthcare services available at Heritage Valley,” added Mr. Mitry.