During the 1890s, the McKees Rocks Hospital was established in Norwood, a neighborhood of McKees Rocks, PA, by Dr. Samuel McCune Black.
Our School of Nursing opened its doors in 1901.
Our first student, Annabell McAnulty, graduated in 1904.
The once private Hospital was chartered in 1906 as the non-profit Ohio Valley General Hospital.
In 1930, the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth, with a long tradition of healthcare ministry, took over management of the Hospital. The institution remained a non-sectarian, community hospital.
In December of 1947, the cornerstone for the new foundation was laid. The new building opened in the spring of 1949, on what is now known as Heckel Road. The farm house remained on the property for a few years.
When the Hospital upgraded to a larger space, our School of Nursing was able to do so as well. Originally accommodating 65 students, the new building was constructed in 1956. Our school became fully accredited in 1959.
In 1963, our Hospital began a School of Radiologic Technology.
In 1968 the Hospital’s campus saw even more changes. The School of Nursing was remodeled, and a three story addition to the Hospital was made. This enlarged the Emergency and Outpatient facilities, provided new offices for physicians and administrators and added new Laboratory and Radiology facilities.
Our Medical Office Building was opened in May of 1988. This is a space filled with physicians who work for other hospital networks, independent physicians, and Ohio Valley Hospital owned-physicians. It exists to keep our community healthy and provide accessible health care to all.
Recent expansion included a foray into Senior Living. Senior Living at The Willows was built across the street on Heckel Road in the early 2000s, with The Residence at Willow Lane, a contemporary personal care community, Willow Heights, an independent living apartment center, and Pathways Memory Care, for those who need help with memory loss.
Our School of Nursing celebrated its 100 year mark in 2001. The school typically has class sizes of 50 students per year, and operates as an accredited 19 month program.
In 2014, Ohio Valley General Hospital again changed its name: this time to Ohio Valley Hospital. With the transition, our Hospital has been able to introduce a new modern look to support our state-of-the-art medical technology, first-rate medical staff, and dedicated employees, while maintaining a convenient, personal, and close-to-home experience for every patient.
Our School of Radiography celebrated its 50th commencement in 2015. This very selective program is open to 9 students a year, and graduating students earn an Associate’s Degree in Health Science from La Roche College, alongside a Certificate of Radiologic Technology.
Ohio Valley Hospital and Heritage Valley Health System have officially joined together, after final regulatory approval. Our newly enlarged healthcare system will be able to expand our footprint to meet the healthcare needs of our growing region.