The Wellness Curriculum was developed in recognition of the importance of devoting resources and efforts to bolster life-balance and well-being among residents during training, as well as developing skills for adaptation and resiliency throughout the course of a medical career.
Resources and activities have been built into the curriculum promoting personal and professional fulfillment and successful functioning in the Social, Emotional, Mental, Spiritual, and Physical realms. Additional resources include support services to encourage interpersonal adjustment and to avoid or alleviate professional and personal burnout.
Components of the Wellness Curriculum include:
- “Wellness Fridays” – scheduled participation in recreational, team building activities (e.g., scavenger hunt, bowling, trampoline center) occurring on Friday afternoons approximately every 8 weeks
- 2 “Wellness Days” per year in addition to vacation and personal days
- Free gym membership
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) educational lectures and 24/7 availability to residents
- Class support groups
- Holiday parties
- Block parties (end of rotation block- fun activities led by residents)
- Nutritional education and cooking skills training conducted by a local culinary arts school
- Resident Wellness Committee
- Wellness seminars including: “Surviving Residency”, “Mindfulness”, “Living Longer and Better (Blue Zones)”
- Resident Retreat